03.02.2009

Judging, judging... more judging


After hurting my shoulder in a snowboard accident this winter I was forced to drop my training for the 100m DNF completely and turned to more judging.
It started with the 8ème Coupe des Dauphins where I had the chance to be judging one of the most controversy discussed performances ever.
Christian Maldamé showed us how delicious a real Swiss cheese fondue can be and that it is possible to freedive in lake Geneva in January. I guess he is already training for the OIC.

Then, last weekend I was judging the Finkampen II in Åland. Being a great fan of the ocean and boats and all that, just to travel there was great fun for me. I flew into Stockholm, spend a night with Peter Boivie in Upsala and met all the other Swedish freedivers on the ferry.

With the new rules some things have become much easier to judge and some things are better to understand and beneficial for the athletes. So we were quite happy to be using them in both Geneva and Åland.

I was fortunate to again judge a really amazing performance. Ulf Dextegen held his breath for 8 minutes and 43 seconds. This is the second best result ever achieved in a competition.



I must say that the fun factor of this competition was one of the highest even. First there was a fun static in the frozen Baltic Sea (where I managed 10 s or so with no suit on), then sauna (with Champaign and beer), then Jacuzzi (with beer and that funky Finlandia mixed stuff), then outside pool (with starts above), then restaurant (with pizza, prices, karaoke and freedive drinklist), then night club (with live bands) and then a very hung over ferry ride back after not so much sleep...

Judging is fun!

What’s next?
Berlin Masters Cup 2009
Oslo Ice Challenge
ZLIN APNEA CUP
1st Hemmoor No-Fins only

3 Kommentare:

  1. Hi Martin,

    I have not participated in a competition this year so I am curious what "things have become much easier to judge and some things are better to understand and beneficial for the athletes". Could you please give some examples?

    cheers, Eric

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi Eric,

    the grabbing rule is much clearer saying you cannot touch the edge.

    But then again the penalty for it is down to 5 points.

    But read for yourself... ;)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi Martin,

    For sure I am reading the rules! ;-)
    I was just curious what you as a judge found much easier.

    cheers
    Eric

    AntwortenLöschen