25.04.2009

A photographer turned freediver

Fredrik Naumann is a Norwegian photographer who is following Elisabeth, shooting her in different locations and editing articles for the Norwegian press.

When I met Fredrik for the first time last year at the Aarhus Triple Challenge 2008, I remember he was overly anxious about his scuba tanks. I must admit, I was messing around with them using 'em for getting the pool side BBQ started...

In any case, these days are gone. At the OIC, Fredrik must have gotten so fed-up with hurling his dive gear around that he decided to quit the crap. He enlisted for a freediving course and went to Bergen with the boys from Oslo freediving club to get started on depth.

Right now he is down in Dahab at the Bizzy Blue Hole shooting in apnea, for the first time in his life. The above picture is just a little teaser, I think. He promised me a picture for the Apnea Photo Award. Let’s see what he is coming up with.

It is not often that a journalist is taking part in what we do. Usually they keep their distance which might be good in one way as their view is uncorrupted. On the other hand they sure won’t understand the nature of what we do and usually make mistakes or worse use the old fear of drowning to shed a dark light on our sport.

I am very curious how Fredrik will develop. Maybe he will even compete at some point. I wonder what impact that will have on his work.

7 Kommentare:

  1. Wow, very nice picture! And a good contestant to join your competition.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. It was a very nice diving day for all of us

    Alex

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Alex, where are your pictures? And congratulations on the new PB!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Congratulations Elisabeth and Martin, great job! I'm looking forward how deep you'll get this BBH, but for now I'm really happy things keep on 'clicking' for you!

    Have you done any nice dives Martin? You know it's now your turn! :D

    Kars

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. To Alex, because I cannot post on his blog:

    Great photo's, my favourite now is freediving_ras_mohammed988.jpg

    How do you like the challenge and manoeuvrability of your freediving underwater photography?

    As for perspective, I happen to like the 2nd person perspective, because it draws the person much more in, like he's there with his freediving friend. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9vTAJrHZp8
    Sometimes it becomes more 3rd person, and one distance mentally from the diver. But I think you'll get the idea :)

    I'm looking to your upcoming next work!

    Love, Courage and Water,

    Kars

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Somehow I made a mistake in the name, it's Fredrik Naumann I meant off cause!

    Kars

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Great change! Its really hard to make a good photo on just a single breath!

    AntwortenLöschen