19.08.2007

Jelly Attack

Today was the last day of the competition and Elisabeth and me where going into the water with high expectations. Elisabeth wanted to dive to a personal best to 57 m after her 54 m dive yesterday and so set a new national record. I wanted to coach her on this dive and then later ether safety dive or even judge again as I did on yesterday.
The sea was actually very calm today and it all looked like the perfect day for a last dive into the dark depth of this northern waters. But the lack of current made the jelly fish swarm out like they have never done before and that became a serious problem.
I was just about to film Elisabeth on one of her warm up dives when I surfaced right into one big stinging bastard. I had stinging tentacles all over my head, poisoning both cheeks, the area around my lips and the chin. I came up out of the water with a cry of pain and hectically tried to wash away the ripped off parts of the jelly around my neck. That was 10 minutes after going into the water and it basically ended my diving day. My face burned like hell. I had to really pull myself together to not freak out and accompany Elisabeth to her dive. After she had been diving down to 50 m and turned to safely come back up I felt that I could not stay any longer in the water. My body started shivering. The doctor on the boat gave me an anaesthetic cream that immediately applied but I did not really feel any comfort from that.
Elisabeth took over my job as safety diver (putting on my bi-fins which makes her look really funny) and I went strait back to shore with the next boat that was available.
When I reached the house the shivering had developed into cramps and the poison was distributed throughout my body so that I felt little stinging pains all over. I soon started to feel really dizzy and miserable. I sat down in the dining room where people could watch me and started to drink a lot of water. With the cramps and the stinging all over the body and the dizziness and the burning face I really started to dislike jelly fish and question their right of existence.
Thankfully after two to three hours the cramps went away and so did the dizziness and the stinging. When I felt that I was doing better, I started to walk around in order to get my system running again and the blood to move about. That seamed to help and so I got better. I still feel the burn in my face though as I write this.
So next year, when I come back to Nordic Deep, I will sure bring some good waterproof cream and watch out for the little yellow bastards.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hübsche story - sehr unterhaltsam! Gut, dass man keine Spuren mehr in deinem Antlitz davon sieht! Wäre zu schade. ;-)

    Grüße
    KR

    AntwortenLöschen